Friday, May 22, 2009

Internet and Insurance...


Internet has been one of our biggest challenges (or lack thereof) and in Mayaguana the local ‘internet café’ was outside of the administrative building. Notice I am sitting on a very comfortable ½ 55 gallon drum (can you say potential BBQ?), the laptop is sitting on the ground (mostly dirt), I have a headset on so and on Skype talking to my folks. Notice the-tech wind preventer…my shirt draped over my head to shield the headset microphone.

We stayed in Mayaguana longer than expected due to problems with our insurance company. They did not want us to travel overnight without two crew…well short of asking Dad and Mom to move in with us this was impossible. It is imperative to arrive at 90% of the islands in broad daylight (10 AM to 3 or 4 PM) so you can see the coral heads and sand bars. We finally sorted it out (got a new company) after only two weeks and one phone call at $6.00 a minute for 33 minutes…again, gulp!

No comments: