Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Karen and Chris installing the starboard cabinets

While the guys were working on the nav cabinet, the gals (Karen and Chris) were working on the stereo shelves (to the right) and the cabinets.

Actually, Mark was supervising and Jack, Karen and I were installing. The next day was Memorial Day. We were taking the day off and going sailing - after all the hard work we needed a 'sailing fix'.

Jack and Mark with Nav cabinet

As we arrive at the boat with the new parts Jack and Karen meet us to help with the install. Here Jack and Mark are moving the Nav/office cabinet into place.
It was a perfect fit (go Mark!) and all that had to be done was screwed into place.
Oh, and the order for louvered doors was lost so that is why you can see Mark peeking through where a door SHOULD be...and the sliders for the drawers have been ordered for the THIRD time...

On the road with parts to install

Finally it is time to move some of the newly made and varnished parts from the varnish booth and actually install them on the boat where they belong!!!! YEAH!
Oh, and at about 6:30 AM on 5/25/2008 I completed the final coat of varnish on the cabin sole floor. For those of you who may have forgotten when this project was started it was January....believe me I was looking for the Champaign...but rats, my friends Vicki, Mary and I drank it on Mary's 50th. Ok, so that was worth the lack now.

Rebedding a hatch

Just for fun we needed to re-bed one (probably all) of the forward hatches. It would seem that a girl like me should be able to do so without help, but alas Mark had to come to my rescue. It is out; now all we have to do is re-bed it. Went sailing yesterday (Memorial Day) with duct tape in the place of the hatch.

Livingroom STILL a varnish booth

Meanwhile....I am desperate to keep up with the varnish task at hand. I am varnishing the last two pieces of cabin sole flooring for the nav/office floor, the 4 cabinet doors above the black lounge chairs, the stereo shelves to the right of the new cabinets, the nav office cabinet, the three leaves of the main salon table, the commode table top and various trim pieces! The only surface left for cooking was about 3 square feet....we haven't eaten at the dinning room table since....hmmm, can't really remember...the good news is that I am ALMOST done with the older projects.
The table tops have to be block sanded with an aluminum plate 1" thick, it weighs about 2 pounds when I start and about 20 when I finish. It takes about 4 hours to do all three sections of the table...then I have to do the commode the same way.

Electric Panel goes to the varnish booth

Next to exit the wood shop was the electrical panel cabinet. Here is Mark showing off his craftsmanship. Finally, he has completed fabricating the large wooden projects and now we (he) can start working on the other things that have been awaiting his attention.
Again, this was done a little over a week ago and already has a few coats of varnish. Should be done just about the same time we actually receive the new panels....

Chart table glueup

The next to the last 'big' wood project is the chart table. Here Mark has finished the wood frame and has glued it together.
This was completed a week or so ago and in now in the varnish booth. It just needs a few more coats of varnish then we attach the Avonite surface to the top....shouldn't be long now!

Helm jury rigged with duct tape

Here is a view from Karen's point of view. The pedestal is all bright and shiny BUT the instruments have not quite been installed yet. It works fine unless you push a button too hard then the tape lets loose and the instruments collapse inwards. One more project mostly done.

Helpers Jack and Karen get to go sailing

When we finally got the steering back together we took time out to take our helpers sailing. Karen was a first-time sailor and did a fine job of steering. It was a good day...the first time we had the boat out in about 3 months.

Rebuilt steering pedestal

As part of the refit we tore apart the steering pedestal and were unable to sail for about 3 months as we had no wheel! Mark and Jack ripped out the steering cable, the conduit thru which it travels and replaced it all. Then since we had dry rot in the cockpit sole we dug out all the rotten wood and poured about a half gallon of epoxy into the void.

Once that was done Mark painted and reassembled the pedestal which now looks shiny and new.

Settee curve is a SHORT wood project

Mark wanted the settee to curve rather than turn at 90 degrees as it is a modern look. As wood projects go it was pretty easy. This photo shows the structure before it was installed. Two coats of varnish has now been applied and only needs a few more.

The bad news it that we did not find an upholsterer here in landlocked Grapevine to do the job we wanted done (in time) so we will go with either no or the old (YUCK!) cushions and have them done in Annapolis.